Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, 1 October 2014

My First Sponge

It’s done. I have decided to do something about what I love! Watching countless cooking shows on either TLC or Fox Life has finally lit a fire in my big belly.  I‘ve decided to make one dish a week and write about it.
I love food but unfortunately it’s one-sided; an unrequited love that will never amount to anything but an ever expanding waistline and people screaming, “Think about your poor knees!” And all I wanted to do was scream back a quote from a world-renowned chef, Jamie Oliver, who said that life is too short to eat crap. But instead I just smile shyly, shrug my shoulders and only hope that they choke on their own saliva and die!
Sure, I know that being morbidly obese can kill you but so can a bus while you’re walking down the street thinking about how many calories you’ve consumed. Now that’s what I call irony.

Phew! Moving on now to the yummier bit. Armed with my brand new oven and hand mixer (Thanks to my wonderful family), I made my first awesome sponge cake. The recipe I looked up was for a Granny’s Victoria Sponge where you fill in jam and fresh cream in between. Unfortunately, my sponge did not rise enough for it to have the filling; but it was delicious nonetheless, especially for my first attempt at making a basic sponge.
I followed the recipe down to a “T” and the result was great! The secret, I found, lay in using the ingredients at room temperature.
What struck me like a sort of epiphany, was that all that yummy food that I’ve stuffed my face with is made some how right? They follow a recipe and it’s created with ingredients that don’t grow on Mars! This maybe something that seems obvious to you but to me it was a far greater complexity knowing that trained professionals are at it day and night!  I only hope I can get better at this as time goes on!

Until next time, stay awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment